Become a Fanimaid
Join us in our 14th year as the best maid café on the west coast! Our auditions will begin in January 2022 so here is everything that you will need to know about becoming part of the Fanimaid family. Remember to follow us on our Facebook page for the latest announcements.
The basic requirements for volunteering for Fanimaid Cafe:
- You must identify as female. We understand that this label is imperfect and doesn’t encompass everyone, so feel free to reach out about any questions you may have. We are strictly a maid only cafe, no butlers.
- Be 18 years of age by FanimeCon- we will be doing ID checks.
- Be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination.
- Provide your own uniform, transportation, and registration.
What kind of volunteers are we looking for?
While we’re fairly easy-going and open about the people we invite into our cafe family, there are a few things we look for! (This is a family friendly operation, and being a maid is completely NON-SEXUAL.)
- You love anime/manga/games and have an interest in maid cafes, moe-kei, and Akiba culture!
- You want to learn how to be a maid, dress up in a cute maid uniform, and meet people!
- You’re willing to interact with patrons and partake in fun conversations, games, and take photos!
- You’re willing to dedicate at least 4+ hours per day on Saturday and Sunday for cafe shifts, and a one hour meeting on Friday. We stress that volunteering with us will require a big time commitment out of your Fanime weekend so please bear this in mind.
- You’re willing to be on a team with a bunch of cute maids and give it your all to make Fanimaid Cafe 2022 as awesome as ever!!!
A PLUS would be (not required nor do they affect your eligibility for joining):
- You have serving experience in a restaurant
- You’re interested in performing on Stage Zero or in the cafe with your fellow maids
- You’ve been to a maid cafe in Japan and are knowledgeable of related subjects
Accommodations can be provided for most disabilities. Let us know as soon as possible if you will require any accommodations.
By fostering an inclusive community through friendship and service, Fanimaid Cafe brings authentic Akiba Maid culture to the Bay Area.
We are a trans-inclusive space, and support our female-aligned maids who come from all backgrounds regardless of sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, or religion.
Is this a paid position?
Being a Fanimaid is not a compensated job. When you volunteer at FanimeCon and work up to 20 hours related to Fanimaid Cafe, you will be reimbursed for a full-weekend badge! You will still need to purchase your own registration first, but you can ask about becoming a volunteer by contacting the volunteer department, or upon registration pick-up.
Tryouts for Fanimaid Cafe 2022 will be held in-person in San Jose, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. You will need to pass ONE try-out in order to volunteer which means you only need to attend ONE of our three auditions. Upon passing, you must keep up with email updates and announcements as well as attend a mandatory meeting on Friday evening of FanimeCon.
- Los Angeles
- January 9th, 2022 from 1-3 pm at The Long Beach Convention Center
- San Jose
- January 15th, 2022 from 12-2 pm at the San Jose Convention Center
- San Francisco
- January 22nd, 2022 from 1-3 pm at the Japan Center Mall
Online applications can also be arranged on a case by case basis. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or require any accommodations regarding the tryout dates.
What do I need to bring to the audition?
- The audition will consist of an orientation on maid duties, a brief lesson of cafe culture, and an interview. Extra preparation is not necessary.
- We recommend bringing pen and paper for note-taking.
What should I wear to the tryout?
- You do not need to wear a maid uniform to the tryout. Recommended attire for our audition is something cute and comfortable.
Do I need to have a uniform before auditioning? Do you have a required uniform?
- We have an approval process and guidelines set for uniform selection. Please do not purchase your uniform in advance as it may not meet our guidelines. If you already have a maid uniform, it will be subject to approval before you can wear it in the café.
How much time will I need to dedicate to the maid café as a volunteer?
- Volunteers are expected to complete one shift on Saturday and Sunday.
- Volunteers are required to attend a live streamed training event prior to the convention and a mandatory training meeting on Friday of the convention.
- Performing during Fanimaid Live is not required.
Fanimaid Cafe is a fun experience, and many of us have made irreplaceable memories and experiences making friends and growing together, as well as found many opportunities through our event. We welcome many of you to join our family, make friends, work hard, and most of all, enjoy yourself! Our staff consists of knowledgeable, helpful, and supportive people who work to make Fanimaid Cafe a great team to be a part of. Being a maid is a lot of hard work, but if you’re willing to give it your all, we promise you that it’ll be a memorable experience.
We hope to see you soon!
Let’s go Fanimaid! Moe moe kyun~!