Become a Fanimaid
Are you interested in becoming a part of one of the cutest maid cafes on the West Coast? FanimeCon’s Maid Cafe is an environment that aims to build lifelong friendships amongst people with shared interests while developing professional work experience. Our auditions begin January 2020! Here is everything that you will need to know about becoming part of the Fanimaid family. Remember to follow us on our Facebook page for the latest announcements.
The basic requirements for volunteering for Fanimaid Cafe:
- You must identify as female and be at least 18 years of age by FanimeCon. We are strictly a maid-only cafe.
- You need to provide your own registration, transportation, and approved uniform.
- Willingness to dedicate at least 4+ hours per day on Saturday and Sunday for cafe shifts, and a one-hour meeting on Friday. We stress that volunteering with us will require a big time commitment out of your FanimeCon weekend so please keep this in mind.
What kind of volunteers are we looking for?
While we’re fairly easy-going and open about the girls we invite into the cafe family, there are a few things we look for! (This is a family friendly operation, and being a maid is completely NON-SEXUAL.)
- You love anime/manga/games and have an interest in maid cafes, moe-kei, or Akiba culture!
- You want to learn how to be a maid, dress up in a cute maid uniform, and meet people!
- You’re willing to sit with patrons and partake in fun conversations, games, and take photos!
- You’re willing to be part of a team of cute maids and give it your all to make Fanimaid Cafe 2020 as awesome as ever!!!
A PLUS would be if (not required nor do they affect your eligibility for joining):
- You have serving experience in a restaurant
- You’re interested in performing on Stage Zero or in the cafe with your fellow maids
- You’ve been to a maid cafe in Japan and are knowledgeable of related subjects
Is this a paid position?
Being a Fanimaid is not a compensated job. When you volunteer at FanimeCon and work up to 20 hours related to Fanimaid Cafe, you may be reimbursed for a full-weekend badge! You will still need to purchase your own registration first, but you can ask about becoming a volunteer by contacting the volunteer department, or upon registration pick-up.
You will need to pass ONE try-out in order to volunteer which means you only need to attend ONE of our three auditions. Upon passing, you must keep up with email updates, responsibilities and training, as well as attend a mandatory meeting on Friday evening of FanimeCon.
Try-outs will be in multiple locations
Clicking on the try-out location will bring you to the official Facebook event!
It is important that you arrive on time, as we will not allot for more than 15 minutes of tardiness before we move on.
ALA, Ontario Convention Center: Sunday, January 11th from 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
Lobby of the DoubleTree at Ontario Airport.
San Francisco Japantown: Saturday, February 8th at 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM
The courtyard across the street from the Pagoda. We’ll be meeting in the round stone seating area in front of Shabu-sen.
San Jose Convention Center: Sunday, February 22nd from 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM
Lobby of the San Jose Convention Center.
Online applications will only be given under special circumstances. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or negotiations regarding this.
What do I need to bring to the audition?
- The audition will consist of an orientation on maid duties, a brief lesson of cafe culture, and an interview. Extra preparation is not necessary.
- We recommend bringing pen and paper for note taking.
What should I wear to the tryout?
- Recommended attire for the audition is something cute and comfortable. You do not need to wear a maid uniform to the tryout.
Do I need to have a uniform before auditioning? Do you have a required uniform?
- We have an approval process and guidelines set for uniform selection. Please do not purchase your uniform in advance. If you already have a maid uniform, it will be subject to approval before you can wear it in the cafe.
How much time will I need to dedicate to the maid cafe as a volunteer?
- Volunteers are expected to attend a 4-5 hour shift on both Saturday and Sunday of Fanime weekend. Regardless of your assigned shift, it is mandatory for all maids to attend the Friday evening meeting.
Fanimaid Cafe is not only a fun experience where many of us have made irreplaceable memories and grown together, but it can also be the starting point for some life-changing opportunities. We welcome many of you to join our family, make friends, work hard, and most of all, enjoy yourself! Our staff consists of knowledgeable, helpful, and supportive people here to make Fanimaid Cafe a great team to be a part of. Being a maid is a lot of hard work, but if you’re willing to give it your all, we promise you that it’ll be a memorable experience. We hope to see you soon!
Let’s go Fanimaid! Moe moe kyun~!