Interested in having your FanimeCon badge reimbursed or getting a preview of staffing at the con? Then volunteer with us!
Volunteering is as easy as showing up to FanimeCon, getting your badge, dropping by the Volunteers Department, and letting us know that you want to volunteer. Previous experience is not needed to volunteer, nor is there a required dress code by our department. You can even volunteer while wearing cosplay! Volunteers are wanted at virtually all hours in numerous departments throughout the convention. You can make a schedule according to your plans and task preferences, allowing you to work towards reimbursement while still enjoying FanimeCon!
As a volunteer, you can contribute to FanimeCon in several ways because you are not limited to only one job or one department. You can choose from a wide variety of tasks available and all of them are important. Some departments you can volunteer at include Panels, Video, Tabletop Games, J-Fashion, and Masquerade. Some examples of tasks are badge checking, event setup and/or cleanup, filling attendee goodie bags, and door guarding for video rooms. The department you volunteer for will train you during your shift and inform you of everything you need to know for that task.
The number of hours required for reimbursement depends on your badge type:
- Purchase and pick up your badge.
- Head to the Volunteers Room (Silicon Valley Boardroom, second floor of the San Jose Marriott Hotel) to register for our volunteering program.
- Pick tasks that fit your schedule and preferences with the help of our staff members, and sign up for your initial shifts.
- Continue to sign up for shifts that qualify towards your reimbursement requirements throughout the weekend.
- Return to the Volunteers Room after completing all of your hours so our staff can submit your reimbursement.
- Pick out some fun prizes.
- After FanimeCon ends, Finance will process your reimbursement.
- Have a valid FanimeCon attendee badge. The badge must cover all the days you intend to volunteer.
- Have proof of identification. Please bring a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license or passport). This allows us to verify your identity. For minors, a copy of your student ID will suffice.
- Be at least 13 years old. If you are below the age of 18, then you must complete a minor waiver form before or during your first visit to the Volunteers Department. A guardian must sign your minor waiver form
After FanimeCon ends, our Finance Department will work hard to process all reimbursements as quickly as possible. If you do not receive your reimbursement within the timeframes below, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Original payment method||Reimbursement method||Approximate Wait time|
|Card||Reversed back onto the card used to purchase your badge||2-3 weeks|
|Cash/check||Mailed to your mailing address via check||6-9 weeks|
What is the difference between volunteering and staffing?
To be staff, you must apply to a department prior to FanimeCon and you may be added if there is room. There is a significant time commitment required, which involves a series of staff meetings and possible training sessions. During the convention, you must work at least 24 hours, although more is typically expected. You will receive a staff badge and will not need to purchase a regular attendee badge.
Volunteering does not require any time commitment before the convention and you can sign up during FanimeCon. We always need more volunteers and only in the rarest situations would we turn help away. Once you complete your hours, you are free to enjoy the rest of the convention. You need to purchase a regular attendee badge first before signing up as a volunteer, but you will be reimbursed after finishing your hours. Note that if you do not reach the minimum amount of required hours, you are not eligible for reimbursement, as we do not partially reimburse badges.
* Check with your department head for your department’s specific policies.
Volunteering is also a great way to preview what being staff is like without putting in the commitment before the convention. Many volunteers move on to joining staff once they have worked in a certain department.
Location and Hours
San Jose Marriott – Silicon Valley Boardroom
Thursday: 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Friday: 8:30 am – 9:00 pm
Saturday: 8:30 am – 9:00 pm
Sunday: 8:30 am – 9:00 pm
Monday: 8:30 am – 4:00 pm
Stop by the Volunteers Room during the convention, or email us at email@example.com.