Japanese-inspired street fashions and “kawaii” aesthetic are becoming more and more a part of popular culture and the convention scene every year. For FanimeCon 2020, we are expanding our J-Fashion content and will be presenting two fashion shows, a trunk show, and a J-Fashion swap meet! The two separate fashion shows we are offering are our Elegant and Pop shows, which features a variety of different styles and subcultures. We are also offering some of the brands and looks from the runway in a trunk show after each runway show, as well as special panels specifically for the J-Fashion audience.
Fashion Show Information
We’ve got two fashion shows coming up this year!
Elegant Fashion Show | Saturday, May 23 at 2:00 pm
For those who hold grace and beauty dear to their hearts, we present our Elegant Fashion Show! This show will encompass styles such as EGL, Ouji, Otome, Natural Kei, and more. These styles often take inspiration from fashion history, and use beautiful and intricate garment details to make its wearers feel like royalty!
Pop Fashion Show | Sunday, May 24 at 2:00 pm
Do you love the fun, kawaii, and colorful side of J-Fashion? Get your accessories ready and grab your glitter! Our Pop Fashion Show will feature styles such as Fairy-kei, Decora, Gyaru, and Menhera. These styles are often characterized by their use of bright colors, an explosion of accessories, fun prints, and a rebellious outlook on life!
Please check here if you’re interested in participating as a designer in one of our fashion shows.
Please email us at J-Fashion@fanime.com if you’re interested in modeling in one of our fashion shows.
If you have any questions about applying as a designer or model, you can email us at J-Fashion@fanime.com
Trunk Show Information
Please come visit our Trunk Show room to shop, see the designs up close, and chat with the designers!
Trunk Show Hours:
Saturday: 11:00 am – 8:00 pm (closed from 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm for the Elegant Fashion Show)
Sunday: 11:00 am – 8:00 pm (closed from 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm for the Pop Fashion Show)
Monday: 11:00 am – 2:00 pm
Harajuku Flea Market
If you’re looking to buy or sell any secondhand EGL, Gyaru, Fairy-kei, Decora, or Wafuku fashion items, this is the place to come! Buying second hand garments is a great way to score some deals, especially if you’re looking to explore the different Japanese fashion subcultures. If you’re looking to clear out some room, this is also a great opportunity for you to make some extra money, so please sign up for the Harajuku Flea Market, which will be held on Friday evening. We will have changing rooms available for use!
Please send an email to J-Fashion@fanime.com if you are interested in registering for the Harajuku Flea Market.
Harajuku Flea Market Rules
Here are the rules and regulations for both selling at and buying at the J-Fashion Swap Meet this year:
- Official stores and dealers, as well as their employees, are prohibited from selling at the Harajuku Flea Market. Individuals with Guest of Honor or Dealers badge are prohibited from selling at the Swap Meet. Individuals with a professional (Press/Industry) badge may sell at Harajuku Flea Market, but may only sell personal items and nothing provided by or related to their employer.
- If your sale items differ from what you declare when applying for a Harajuku Flea Market space you will forfeit your spot to a member on the waitlist.
- You may only register for one space, and a maximum of two people may share a space. Both people in the space must be registered for that space. You may not have someone else register an additional space for you.
- We will have clothing racks available for rental on a first-come, first-served basis for $10. You may share the rack with one other person. We will not be providing hangers, please bring your own. You may not bring your own clothing racks.
- You or your partner must be present in your registered space for the entire duration of the Harajuku Flea Market, or until you have decided to close up for the evening. In the event that a space is vacated for the evening, it is not to be occupied and must remain empty. You may not vacate a space to allow another seller to sell there. You must have all of your items with you when you check in. You will not be permitted to bring in additional goods after you have been escorted to your space at the Harajuku Flea Market.
- Shelving, tables, and anything which might block or obscure the view of other vendors, buyers, security, or staff is strictly prohibited. Taping or pinning items to the walls is strictly prohibited. Unlicensed, bootleg, or counterfeit goods are prohibited. No amplified sound will be permitted.
- Sellers will only be allowed to sell strictly J-Fashion items. No Cosplay items are allowed. Garments are limited to used clothing goods. Crafted accessory items (i.e. jewelry) are subject to Harajuku Flea Market staff approval.
- Harajuku Flea Market staff has the final approval on all goods allowed at the Harajuku Flea Market. All items will be reviewed before they are brought into the Harajuku Flea Market.
- Harajuku Flea Market spaces may be assigned at random, and Harajuku Flea Market staff cannot make any guarantee that sellers can be placed next to other specified sellers.
- Harajuku Flea Market sellers may request a refund if they decide they do not wish to sell. The last day refunds can be requested is Monday, May 18, 2020. Any refund requested after that will only be granted at the discretion of FanimeCon staff and only in unusual circumstances. Refunds shall be issued within 90 days, after May 27, 2020. Do not reverse a payment on your own.
- Violation of these rules or otherwise causing a disturbance is grounds for removal as a participant from the Harajuku Flea Market and may result in a ban from future Harajuku Flea Market participation.
- Any questions regarding the interpretation of the rules are subject to the discretion of J-Fashion Harajuku Flea Market and FanimeCon staff.
We will be hosting J-Fashion content and panels in the Hyatt Place in our J-Fashion Content Room in Salon 3. For a list of all J-Fashion content and panels, click here.
FanimeCon 2020 J-Fashion Content Rooms Locations
Salon 1- Runway
Salon 2- Trunk Show
Salon 3- J-Fashion Content