Chocobo GP Ruleset
This tournament is single-elimination.
All tournament rounds will be played as follows: round one will be one track total, round two and the quarterfinal will be four tracks total, and finals will be six tracks total. The top four players ranked in each round will advance, until the last eight players are determined for finals.
- A Tournament Official will determine which setup is the host client. Players will take to their seats and connect with the host Nintendo Switch.
- Once all players have connected, players have 99 seconds from the time they encounter the character menu to select their characters and customization options at the same time. Ride models must be set to default.
- Players play the first track.
- After a track is finished, all players may rest up to 30 seconds before continuing to the next track. Players who choose to not take this rest break may do so only if all other players agree to continue.
- Repeat steps three and four for all tracks until completed.
- Players may not switch characters if the tournament round being played is on multiple tracks.
Pausing, through the pause button or home button, is only legal for the purpose of summoning a Tournament Official, or in the case of a controller malfunction. All other pauses will incur a track loss to the player who paused the game. If a pause occurs, a Tournament Official must be called during the pause to issue a resume countdown. This rule also applies to controllers which cause the game to revert to the Switch home screen.
Color Request Clause
Players may request that their opponent change colors to accommodate color blindness, or if their vehicle color is indistinguishable from the another player’s vehicle color or the stage background. This request must be made before the game starts. For example, requesting a player change their vehicle colors and/or color nameplates.
Coaching is defined as an attempt to give advice to any player during a tournament set. Coaching is only permitted when the Grand Finals reset occurs; in this instance, players are given a two-minute break in which coaching may occur. In all other instances, coaching is prohibited during the duration of a tournament set, whether during a game, or in between games in a set. Tournament Officials reserve the right to discern what qualifies as “coaching” and the severity of the violation. If coaching occurs, the coaching party will receive penalties as outlined below:
- First offense (minor): A verbal warning to the player and the coach. This warning persists for the entire event.
- Second offense (major): The player receives a game loss and/or the coach is removed from the tournament station.
- Third offense (severe): The coaching party receives complete disqualification and removal from the event.
Cheering vs. coaching
Cheering is recognized as such when using nondescript statements — for example, “let’s go,” “you got this,” or “mess them up!” These are not seen as coaching violations, as they do not qualify as advice that can be applied to gameplay.
Coaching violations are typically highly specific statements that may point out habits, specific options, or timings such as “watch for her ultimate,” “Ramuh’s super is almost ready,” or “he’s loaded on Ultima!”
Anyone who is not present for their set 10 minutes past the scheduled start time of the round is subject to a total disqualification from the event.
- Mode: Multiplayer – Custom Race
- Players: Eight (one player per Nintendo Switch)
- Class: Master
- Magicite: With
- CPU: Without
- Select Course: Random
- Number of Races: Dependent on tournament round — round one is one track total, round two is four tracks total, quarterfinal are four tracks total, and finals are six tracks total.
Player Customization Options – Rides
Players must use the default model ride for their chosen character.
DLC/Season Pass Characters
Cloud and Squall are not playable characters in this tournament. This policy may change at the discretion of the Tournament Officials before the start of the event.
FanimeCon 2022 will use whichever patch is currently live at 11:59 pm PST on Wednesday May 25th, 2022.