FanimeCon 2023 -Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Ruleset
This tournament is single-elimination (one total match loss).
All tournament matches are composed of sets of four tracks excluding the Finals, which are a set of six tracks. Two players will advance after each set until four players are determined for the Grand Final and four players are determined for the Small Final.
- Players will have 99 seconds to select their characters, karts, kart pieces, and driving options at the same time. Driving options are defined as options with Auto Acceleration, Motion Steering, and Smart Steering. Characters, karts, kart pieces, and driving options are locked in after confirmation and may not be changed during the set.
- Players play the first track.
- After a track is finished, all players may rest up to 30 seconds before continuing to the next track. Players who choose to not take this rest break may do so only if all other players agree to continue.
- Repeat steps two through three for all tracks until completed.
Pausing is not allowed, except to summon a Tournament Official or in the case of a controller malfunction. All other pauses will incur a track loss to the player who pauses the game. If a pause occurs, a Tournament Official must be called during the pause to issue a resume countdown. This rule also applies to controllers which cause the game to revert to the Switch home screen.
Color Request Clause
Players may request that their opponent change colors to accommodate colorblindness, or if their color is indistinguishable from the other team color or the stage background. This request must be made before the game starts. For example, one may request a player to be Red Yoshi to distinguish from another player playing as Blue Yoshi to prevent confusion.
Anyone who is not present for their set by ten minutes past the scheduled start time of the round is subject to a total disqualification from the event.
- Number of Players: Four – Local Splitscreen (unless as determined by Tournament Official)
- Mode: Versus Race
- Speed Class: 150cc Race
- Teams: No Teams
- Items: Frantic Items
- COM: No COM
- COM Vehicles: All Vehicles
- Courses: Random
- Race Count: Four Races (Finals are Six Races)
FanimeCon 2023 will use whichever patch is currently live at 11:59 pm PST on Thursday, May 25, 2023.