- Black & White Ball
- Casino Night
- Chopped Cosplay
- Closing Ceremonies
- Cosplay Gatherings
- Cosplay Spectacular
- FMV Contest
- Game Show
- Gaming Tournaments
- Gunpla Builders World Cup
- Music Fest
- Opening Ceremonies
- Speed Dating
- Swap Meet
Black & White Ball
It’s FanimeCon’s 21st Anniversary and that means another evening of fun and elegance at the Black & White Ball! Put on your favorite dancing shoes and don your best formal wear or formal cosplay.
Join us in Parkside Hall on Sunday, May 24th at 6 p.m. for great music, beautiful photographs, and (of course) hours of dancing!
Not sure how to dance? Don’t worry: The Black & White Ball staff will be offering group dance lessons every day leading up to the ball. A handful of private lessons will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis, so sign up early during the con!
Not sure what to wear? Check out our dress code here.
Please note: The Dress Code will be strictly enforced – we will be denying entry to individuals wearing inappropriate attire.
Do you want to know more? Do you have additional questions? Visit our FAQ!
Is there a certain song you would like to dance to? Do you have any suggestions for our playlist? Submit your music requests at the forums!
Dance Lesson Schedule
Things to Remember:
- Coat Check: Sorry, we won’t be offering a coat check. Please keep your personal belongings close by and avoid bringing to much with you, as the dance hall often reaches full capacity during the ball. FanimeCon is not responsible for any lost, damaged, or stolen items.
- Photography: Make FanimeCon’s Black & White Ball a night to remember! We will have a professional photographer to capture a souvenir for the night. Come by the photo area and have your picture taken on a green screen with your choice of background. Prints start at $5 each. You will receive your prints the night of the event. Portraits provided by Mynessa Photography.
- Dance Etiquette: Please be courteous and respectful to others. If you want to decline a dance, please do so politely. There are also no restrictions on who can do the asking when it comes to requesting a dance!
- Dance Lessons: The Black & White Ball staff will be providing group dance lessons and private dance lessons every day up until the ball during FanimeCon. If you want a sneak peek of the steps that will be taught at the lessons or just want to refresh your memory before the ball, we’ve got videos of our instructors demonstrating steps for all the dances on FanimeCon’s YouTube channel!
- Line of Dance: Since there will be others dancing on the floor with you, please be respectfully aware of other dancers. For traveling dances (waltz, tango, foxtrot), please travel in a counter-clockwise direction (also known as line of dance). More experienced dancers should generally dance on the outer edge of the floor while more inexperienced dancers should dance closer to the center of the floor. If you choose to do a stationary dance (such as swing) during a line-of-dance song (such as foxtrot), you MUST dance in the center of the floor. Please help us prevent collisions!
- Shoes: Please wear appropriate and comfortable shoes! Your feet will thank you by the end of the night. Dancing barefoot is not allowed. See the dress code for guidance.
- Music: The playlist will be finalized before the ball, so no requests for songs will be taken during the event. If you would like to suggest a song for future years, please head over to the forums or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Personal Hygiene: Since you’ll be in close contact with many people, please freshen up before coming to the ball. Breath mints are also appreciated!
- Stay Hydrated: Since dancing is an intense activity, please keep aware of your own health! In particular, remember to drink lots of water – we’ll be providing lots of it during the ball!
FanimeCon is turning 21! You know what that means? It means that it’s time to go to the casino!
Join us Friday, May 22nd from 8pm to midnight for a special, one-night-only Casino Night, where you will get to play table games – using real chips! A wide variety of games will be offered, including Craps, Roulette, Blackjack, and Texas Hold’em Poker. No age limit just have your badge with you line to receive your playing chips (no real money will be exchanged).
Bonus! Each attendee who joins us at Casino Night will also receive a commemorative poker chip.
Additional information on this and other events in the Cosplayer Gatherings Department can be found on the FanimeCon forums!
Unfortunately, FanimeCon has to come to an end at some point (and our staff need to enjoy their slumber). Join our staff and attendees at our Closing Ceremonies in Video Main on Monday and hear about FanimeCon 2016′s theme.
Are you new to FanimeCon with a cosplay to show off? Looking for other cosplayers from the same title? Or maybe you just want to see the cosplayer groups of your favorite anime, manga, or game? Come hangout with other cosplay enthusiasts and see the best that everyone has to offer.
Additional information on this and other events in the Cosplayer Gatherings Department can be found on the FanimeCon forums!
Fanime Masquerade, Cosplay Spectacular
Each year Fanime holds the Cosplay Spectacular contest on the San Jose civic stage, featuring astounding Cosplays, performances and dance featuring anime from the newest releases to old favorites and original designs.
Line stickers will start 10am May 24, 2015 in front of the Civic auditorium front doors.
We are using a new line system, please read this page.
- 3:30 – Line forms in front of civic auditorium
- 3:30 – Handicap pre-access seating
- 4:00 – Doors open
- 4:15 – Introductions and opening acts
- 4:30 – Contest starts
- 5:15 – Intermission (15 min)
- 5:30 – Second act
- 6:10 – Finally performance
- 6:30 – Judge awards
- Masquerade Registration
- Masquerade Line & Audience Rules
- Judging & Awards
- Competition Schedule
- 2015 Masquerade Winners
Dance will be returning to FanimeCon 2015!
The FanimeCon Code of Conduct applies to the Dance with the following additional rules. Failure to comply will lead to ejection from the dance and possible suspension of FanimeCon membership privileges. Transferred badges will be confiscated. Please visit the Member Services page for information regarding fan storage.
Badges will be marked identifying individuals who are ejected from the dance and will not be allowed back in that day. Ejection from the dance twice will result in removal of dance attendance privileges for 2015.
- Badges will be marked identifying individuals who are ejected from the dance and will not be allowed back in that day. Repeat offenders will have their dance attendance privileges revoked for 2015.
- The Dance is open to all ages. However, we suggest that children under the age of 13 be accompanied by a responsible adult. After 11 PM the lyrical content may not be suitable for those under 18.
- The FanimeCon Dance is a private event hosted for the attendees and members of FanimeCon. An official FanimeCon badge is required for entry. Admission tickets will not be available for purchase at the door.
- Once you leave the dance event area, you will have to wait in line to re-enter.
- Attendees are subject to a security check.
- No outside food or beverages are allowed in the dance. Sealed containers (even purchased in the dealer’s hall) will not be allowed in. Reusable containers will be emptied at the entrance. Water Stations are available inside.
- Bags will not be allowed in to the dance. Small purses, personal pouches, and storage components on cosplays are subject to inspection prior to entry.
- No Drugs.
- Physical and/or verbal harassment of any kind will not be tolerated.
- Large props will not be allowed in the dance (larger than 24 inches). Attendees might be asked to put away props of any size if they are determined to represent a potential danger to others.
- Chemical based glow products (I.E. glow sticks, necklaces, or bracelets) are not allowed in the dance, but LED based lighting utilities are allowed as long as they do not represent an immediate danger to others.
- No “Laser Gloves” or laser pointers will be allowed.
- E-Cigarette use or vaping inside the convention center is strictly prohibited. Vapes and e-cigarettes are not allowed in to the dance. If you are caught with one inside, you will be ejected.
- Only authorized personnel are allowed on the stage.
- No prop or coat check is available inside the dance; personal property left unattended is at your own risk.
Unfortunately, our DJ application period has closed. If you are interested in DJing at FanimeCon 2016, please e-mail email@example.com or check back around September 2015.
Anime Music Videos (“AMV”) are one of the many highlights of anime cons and FanimeCon is no exception! Our Fanime Music Videos (“FMVs”) competition showcases the best videos each year from fans around the world (literally!). We’ve received and continue to receive entries from all over the country (regularly from Brazil, Scotland, Morocco, Hungary, and Korea among others).
The top entry in each category as voted by the audience and the judges will receive prizes. The two groups then choose a “Best-In-Show” each and those entries also receive prizes.
After the show, we’ll also be holding an award ceremony where we’ll highlight the best videos and deliver the prizes to the winners in attendance.
Fanime is now accepting entries for its AMV competition. Our rules have been shortened to make it easier to read, but there have been some changes, so please read carefully.
AMVs must be at least 30 seconds, and no longer than 6 minutes.
Up to 3 entries per person/group; only 1 video per category allowed.
NO bumpers, subtitles (unless made by you), watermarks, personal identifiers, titles, company logos or credits.
No AMV Hell-style videos allowed.
Videos that have been sent to prior Fanime AMV contests, altered or not, will not be accepted.
Video must have premiered after July 1, 2014
AMV must contain at least 70% anime, manga, or video game footage.
Must have a minimum resolution of 640×480 and a frame rate of 23.97 or 29.97.
Due April 19, 2015 at 11:59 P.M. PDT
MP4s using H.264/AVC compression are preferred. However, we will also work with AVIs and MPEG2 files. Files larger than 400MB will not be downloaded, so compress your work.
Awards and Prizes (TBD) will be awarded to the best video in each category, Audience Best in Show and Judges’ Best in Show.
Prizes will be sent to winners who are not in attendance following the con.
Videos containing portions of another editor’s video will be disqualified and the submitter of said video will be permanently banned from all subsequent contests.
Participants who submit videos that are not their own will also be banned permanently.
Refusal to provide one’s legal name will result in disqualification from the contest.
Judging & Use:
Videos will be prescreened and judged prior to the convention. The judges reserve the right to move a video to another category if they feel it would be a better fit.
Fanime reserves the right to use submitted AMVs during the convention and subsequent Fanime conventions, regardless of Finalist status.
Competing AMVs and their submission form are due by April 19, 2015 at 11:59 P.M. PDT.
Our submission form is now closed. Good luck to everyone that entered!
Any questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
FanimeCon Game Show
The FanimeCon Game Show is back for another wonderful season of questions, contestants, prizes, and cash.
The Game Show is a collection of different games, all with the same goal: contestants play against each other in order to crown a winner.
Some of our games test strict trivia knowledge, while others require contestants to think on their feet.
We have luck games, skill games, quiz games, picture games, buzzer games, and improv games.
Our games cover hundreds of different topics, such as Sailor Moon, Star Wars, Sword Art Online, General Knowledge, TV anime, Doctor Who, old anime, new anime, video games, science fiction, Adult Swim, random topics, and so much more!
Even if you don’t know everything about everything, we always encourage people to try.
Almost all of our contestants are chosen directly from the audience.
So, if you have that right mix of trivia knowledge, lightning reflex, and quick improvisation skills, come join us for the fun.
We rotate our games every 30-45 minutes, so there are always plenty of chances to apply.
You might just get selected!
All contestants on stage are awards prizes, from plushes to DVDs and gift cards.
Winners can advance to our jackpot rounds to win up to $500 in cash.
If you know your stuff, you might pay off your entire convention weekend.
The Fanime Game Show runs on Stage Zero in the SJCC Concourse, from 9pm to midnight on Stage Zero.
NEW: Due to popular demand, we have added an EXTRA show in Saturday 3pm in Panels 1.
It’s a bigger room, so we’ll have a bigger show, bigger questions, and maybe bigger prizes!
Games with Guests!
Back again at Saturday at 10pm on Stage Zero, we are bringing back our annual Games with Guests.
Three of our Guests of Honor will be vying for bragging rights and maybe more!
Do they know their Mikus from their Kagamines? Do they know their Peaches from their Pits? Do they know more than the inside of a recording booth?
Scheduled to Appear for the 2015 Games with Guests are Patrick Seitz (Bleach, Soul Calibur V), Christopher Smith (One Piece, Street Fighter 4), and Cindy Robinson (Sailor Moon, BlazBlue)
Come on down and cheer them on!
FanimeCon will host gaming tournaments to suite every gamer’s taste. Classic platformer, modern shooter, fighters, and many more. See how you match up against other FanimeCon attendees!
Please consult the main Gaming Hall Page for tournament schedules.
Gunpla Builders World Cup
Set your GP Base, it’s time for GunPla battle!
FanimeCon returns as a North American competition site for the 2015 Gunpla Builders World Cup (GBWC). The entry awarded Best in Show in FanimeCon’s competition will move on to compete against other winners from the national qualifiers for a FREE trip to Japan to represent North America in the finals this December.
Fill out an entry form and bring your completed entries to the Bluefin booth in the dealer’s hall to enter from May 22-May 24. Judging and awards ceremony will be the afternoon of the 24th. Entries will be displayed at the booth during the convention for the public to view.
For more information on the rules, entry forms and other contest details, check out: http://www.bluefincorp.com/catalog/gbwc2015.
Whether you sing in the shower or on the radio, you’re welcome to FanimeCon’s Karaoke room! Open from 2pm to 2am on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, you are welcome to sign up for open mic Karaoke, participate in one of our amazing contests, or just come and listen to all the great singers! With our jaw-dropping catalog of over 9,000 anime, video game, J-Pop, K-Pop, and Disney songs (most with lyrics in both their native language and English) as well as a full American karaoke system, our database likely contains every song you have ever heard in your entire life.
Be sure to check out our enticing contests, too! With some great prizes and unique formats, your voice may win you big!
In addition to our ongoing open mic karaoke, FanimeCon features three karaoke events:
- The Main Karaoke Contest
- The Acoustikaraoke! Contest
- The Gong Show!
How good is your singing, really? Can you hit the highest highs and the lowest lows? Can you carry a tune, or will you just be dragging it through the mud? FanimeCon’s Karaoke Contest is the place to find out how good you really are. Friday night, with Preliminary Rounds starting at 6pm and Final Rounds at 9pm, be at the Karaoke Room to have your chance for the sweet, sweet sound of victory. New for FanimeCon 2015, winners of the Karaoke Contest will be offered a chance to give an encore performance during the Masquerade!
Prelims: Friday at 6pm
Finals: Friday at 9pm
Do you play a musical instrument? Show off your own original work or special arrangement of your favorite anime or video game song on stage at our Acoustikaraoke contest! Both (small) groups and solo acts are welcome to compete their talents against one another. Do not miss this amazing collection of FanimeCon’s most unique performances!
Saturday at 7pm
Karaoke Gong Show
Sunday at 10pm begins the most foul Karaoke journey ever attempted on stage — the Karaoke Gong Show! If your skin is thick enough and your mind twisted enough then you’ve got a fighting chance at being the dreaded Worst of Show! Yes that’s right, these performers have what it takes to entertain, to amuse and amaze our audience (and judges) with such unique and outlandish acts of comedy that they might completely defy any and all explanation. Due to how terrible these novelty acts (and the judges) are, this is an 18+ event.
Sunday at 10pm
MusicFest brings the best artists & bands from Japan each year to rock out with anime & music fans at an exciting, heart-pounding concert. From JPOP to JROCK, Anisong to VK, MusicFest aims to showcase a plethora of amazing talents to satisfy every musical taste.
Also be sure to catch each Guest of Honor’s panels & autograph sessions throughout the weekend. Check the schedule for details.
Come celebrate the start of FanimeCon 2015 with our staff and Guests of Honor. The celebration starts on Stage Zero at 2 PM.
Where instant connections are made and sparks are ignited! The FanimeCon Speed Dating events are for 18+ singles only who are interested in meeting new people and potentially finding love!
This 2015 year, we will be hosting Speed Dating workshops, sessions, and more. All FanimeCon attendees (18+) are welcomed to the workshops, and for the first time, participation for sessions will be RANDOM LOTTERY-BASED process! Selection for participation is NOT guaranteed, but there is no more hassle of waiting in line.
The Random Lottery-Based Selection/Registration Process for the Speed Dating Sessions is simple:
- Stop by Speed Dating rooms in Fairmont Hotel from 10AM – 3PM on Saturday and Sunday and fill out a registration slip for your desired event session. 1 entry per person per session. Attendees may submit up to max 3 entries per day.
- After you are done signing up, you are free to leave and have fun at con! We require a minimal amount of information from you and only staff personnel are handling the registration process.
- Come back ½ hour prior to your desired session and see if you are randomly selected for that Speed Dating session or else you will forfeit your spot if you were called. Ex: If you registered for the Saturday 12PM session, you must arrive at the rooms at 11:30AM when staffers start to randomly select and process attendees’ registration. Selection for event participation is NOT guaranteed!
We provide heterosexual and queer friendly, gender-neutral (LGBT) speed dating sessions. LGBT sessions, include gay/queer males, lesbian/queer females, and bisexual/pansexual folks, are offered Saturday and Sunday at 2PM. Picture IDs will be checked at the door to verify age. Please bring a valid picture ID that indicates your birthday (passport, driver’s license, state id, etc.). There are no exceptions to the ID requirement.
*ALL EVENTS will be LOCATED at the Fairmont Hotel in the Sacramento, Piedmont, and Hillsborough Rooms*
SPEED DATING 101 WORKSHOP — What IS Speed Dating? How does it even work? Where can I get some practice? This workshop addresses all those curious questions and demystifies the process for you. Learn the basics and practice with us. Join us for a fun time and great laughs as we present Speed Dating 101!
Saturday 10:30AM- 11:30AM
SPEED DATING SESSIONS – The Real Deal Speed Dating! We are hosting three simultaneous rounds per 2-hour session, so come on by! Selected participation will be determined by random lottery ½ hour before each event.
Saturday 12PM – 2PM, *2PM – 4PM, 4PM – 6PM
Sunday 12PM – 2PM, *2PM – 4PM, 4PM – 6PM
*LGBT Sessions offered
Please check the official FanimeCon website and forums here for the latest updates and announcements.
If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please post them on the forums or email us at email@example.com.
The Swap Meet will be held at the San Jose Convention Center’s South Hall on Thursday (from 7:30 PM to 12 AM) and on Friday (from 8 PM to 1 AM).
Those interested in selling at the Swap Meet will need to register separately (apart from their attendee registration) to sell and will require a valid FanimeCon membership. Registration has opened and can be found here.
Want to find great deals on merchandise from older series? Looking to clear your garage full of anime merchandise that you no longer use? Then the Swap Meet is the place for you! Come join fellow fans that want to buy, sell, or trade all types of used or mint, in-box goods at the FanimeCon Swap Meet! Many sellers offer unusual or out-of-print items, and often you can find some very special goods at reasonable prices. Remember, cash or barter are the only accepted payment methods for Swap Meet, and a government-issued ID with a photo and proof of age is required for anything marked 18+.
The following information is important for all Swap Meet participates. There will be an agreement that is required to sign before you are allowed to sell in your space.
- Spaces will be sold ahead of time. Registration for that opens up at noon on Tuesday.
- A 14’ x 6’ space will cost $40 per day and has a limitation of two people per space.
- This event is geared towards Occasional Sellers in Santa Clara County. A person who has cleared their garage of used items accumulated for their own use and who sells only those items would usually qualify as an occasional seller, provided they make sales no more than twice in a 12-month period.
- You are required to have a Sellers Permit if you are selling (even temporarily) new, collectible or handcrafted items, or used items you have purchased for the purpose of reselling to others. You are not required to hold a permit if you are only making occasional sales, or selling products that are not taxable when sold at retail or selling on behalf of a section 6015 retailer (e.g. Avon, Tupperware, etc.). Additional Seller’s Permit information, including the locations where individuals may obtain them, can be found at the California State Board of Equalization web site: http://www.boe.ca.gov/info/reg.htm
- Official stores and dealers, as well as their employees, are prohibited from selling at the Swap Meet. Individuals with Guest of Honor or Dealers badge are prohibited from selling at the Swap Meet. Individuals with a professional (Press/Industry) badge may sell at Swap Meet, but may only sell personal items and nothing provided by or related to their employer.
- If your sale items differ from what you declare when applying for a Swap Meet space you will forfeit your spot to a member on the Wait List.
- A maximum of 1 long box (L 27.25 x W 7.5 x H 10.8) of adult material is permitted, and it must be covered with an opaque lid and clearly marked indicating the contents. The seller must verify government-issued IDs of all customers to ensure they are 18 years of age or older before they are allowed to look at adult materials. The sale of adult goods to minors is prohibited.
- You may only register for one space per day, and a maximum of two people may share a space. Both people in the space must be registered for that space. You may not have someone else register an additional space for you.
- You or your partner must be present in your registered space the entire duration of the Swap Meet, or until you have decided to close up for the evening. In the event that a space is vacated for the evening it is not to be occupied and must remain empty. You may not vacate a space to allow another seller to sell there.
- You must have all of your items with you when you check in, and you will not be permitted to bring in additional goods after you have been escorted to your space at the Swap Meet.
- Shelving, clothing racks, tables, and anything which might block or obscure the view of other vendors, buyers, security, or staff, is strictly prohibited. Taping or pinning items to the walls is strictly prohibited.
- Unlicensed, bootleg, or counterfeit goods are prohibited (e.g. SM, Everanime, Aliors, Elfin, fansubs, etc).
- Cosplay items are limited to used clothing goods (ie. Cospa brand) cosplay weapons and wigs. Crafted accessory items (ie. Jewelry) are subject to Swap Meet staff approval.
- Swap Meet staff has the final approval on all goods allowed at the Swap Meet, and that all items will be reviewed before they are brought into the Swap Meet.
- The sale of all real weapons and explosives are prohibited. This includes but is not limited to all projectile weapons (such as airsoft or bb/pellet guns, bows, crossbows, and firearms), live steel, metal/wooden baseball bats, metal kunai, incendiary devices, lasers, laser pointers, paddles, whips, floggers, brass knuckles, butterfly knives, concealed blades, throwing stars, tonfa, saps, clubs, nunchaku, sai, tessen, jitte, and metal or glass props. Additionally, any prop weapons, which are suitably realistic enough that they could be mistaken for a real weapon, are also prohibited.
- No amplified sound will be permitted.
- Swap Meet spaces may be assigned at random, and Swap Meet staff cannot make any guarantee that sellers can be placed next to other specified sellers.
- Violation of these rules or otherwise causing a disturbance is grounds for removal as a participant from the Swap Meet and may result in a ban from future Swap Meet participation.