This year the DJ application period will be open from NOW until December 31, 2016. Any applications received on or after January 1, 2017 will not be considered.
The application can be found here.
The DJ selection process has changed for 2017. In recent years we had lots of performers (44 in 2015 and 38 in 2016). In 2017 we will be selecting fewer DJs and possibly giving more time to those selected. This application is intended to provide you an opportunity to express your interest in performing at the FanimeCon 2017 Dance.
In 2016 we received the criticism that we had too much Big Room House, Trap, and Hardcore. Unfortunately, our selection pool was limited. In 2017, while we might pay special attention to an application that is not one of these genres, we expect DJs to apply with their best genre and one that they can give their best performance with regardless of set length. Please note that we have not yet decided which genres to focus on this year. It was quite a surprise in 2016 to have one of our trance DJs chased off the stage with the crowd chanting for “HIP HOP”.
Please remember that we expect all our DJs to actually beat match and mix, simply crossfading songs will not score points with the selection team.
This application has been posted to give applicants time to prepare, express interest, and the management team time to review interested candidates.
* Even though review criteria may change over the year, your application will be reviewed on the requirements stated at the time of your application.
- The DJ Selection process is open from NOW (Nov 2016) until December 31, 2016
- DJs/Performers are not considered to be staff members.
- DJs/Performers will have to obtain an official form of entry to the convention.
- Selected DJs are not compensated and will not receive a badge or money.
- Selected DJs will not receive any discounts on a FanimeCon Badge.
- Selected DJs will not be able to book an “opener” and are expected to perform their entire slot by themselves.
FanimeCon is a growing annual anime convention held at the San Jose Convention Center during Memorial Day Weekend. Every year there are more DJs interested in performing at the dance than spots available. The DJ Selection process has been put in place to create a fair system for offering performance time to members of FanimeCon while balancing the genres attendees are interested in and maintaining a performance standard.
The 2017 Dance Management Team’s mission is to successfully plan dance events during FanimeCon which promote a fun, safe, and enjoyable experience for attendees. These dance events must contribute to the overall success and support the growth of FanimeCon.
Once again, PLEASE NOTE that DJs and Performers will need to obtain their own entry to the convention.
Questions/comments regarding these provisions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All Dance Staff positions and performers are on a volunteer basis (there is no financial compensation).
- All Dance Staff positions and performers must adhere to the requirements, rules, and code of conduct for all FanimeCon Staff members and attendees.
- DJs must have been selected through the DJ Selection Process (Exception: Industry and Guest of Honor DJs)
- Staff participation or previous FanimeCon Performance experience will not guarantee a timeslot on the 2017 DJ Schedule.
- Applications will be accepted until December 31, 2016
- Application Requirements
- Every applicant will be contacted by a Selection Committee member.
- In Addition to the Application, DJs must provide:
- A 30 Minute (minimum) mix of what they intend on playing if selected.
They can provide the selection committee their submission by sending an email link or through an arrangement with the Selection Committee. This can be a link to a soundcloud, mixcloud, google drive, or file share site.
- Submission of this mix gives the Dance Management Team your approval to use this mix in the future for promotion of the Dance Event.
- Selections will be based on skill, music format, equipment used, participation, and contribution to FanimeCon.
- Applicants under the age of 18 at the start of the 2017 event will not be considered.
- The Dance Management Team will contact applicants between Jan and Feb
- Final selections will be made and selected DJs will be notified by February 1, 2017.
- DJs that were not selected will be notified on February 16, 2017.